Monday, October 26, 2009

But it was bigger without the walls!

Sadly, no photos today to document the progress of framing the second floor! The camera battery died as soon as I turned it on. Pictures soon!

We made some decisions today regarding where the HVAC and hot water heater "mechanicals" will be located in the house. We also were surprised by how teeny the middle bedroom seems; however, it is just about standard for most Hill houses. It's the "study" or "nursery". But overall we're so happy with the room sizes and the progress we are seeing!

John the Builder and I talked through the electrical side of things - locations for outlets and lighting, etc. We have some more options to think through and then we finalize those plans with the electrician Saturday morning (ummm, when am I supposed to get my beauty sleep?!).

What else? Ah, the fireplace: gas log insert or wood-burning? I'm neutral; the husband feels strongly--can you guess which direction?

Decisions, decisions: each day we realize more decisions to make! Faucets, light fixtures, paint, wood floor stain, lights with dimmers, lights with motion detectors, alarm system or attack dachshund... I have enlisted a special helper for making some paint choices! I will keep you apprised of the progress!

1 comment:

  1. We have a gas log fireplace. Love the convenience of it! Even if you only want a fire for 15 minutes while you sit a read part of a magazine, you can light it, and then turn it off when you are done. HOWEVER, ours does not produce the same amount of heat as a wood burning fireplace, and now that the temps are a little more chilly, I do miss that. I also miss the smell of a wood burning fireplace, but I do not miss the mess of storing a cord of firewood!

    ReplyDelete